On Tuesday, we talked about what makes up a personal brand and its importance in your career. Today, we’re going to offer you a way to get started with building your personal brand. Here are seven steps to help you along the way:
- Identify the primary “product” (service, resource, special ability, etc.) that you can give to others.
- Identify your core values. What really matters to you?
- Identify your passions. What things or ideas do you love?
- Identify your talents. What have you always been recognized for, particularly as a child? What do you do better than most other people? What skills do people seem to notice in you?
- Choose the top five of those talents and qualities, the ones you do best and enjoy doing the most.
- Weave the items on all your lists into a statement of your specialty. What are you particularly gifted at delivering?
- Write a statement emphasizing your specialty and key talents, incorporating your most important values, passions and skills as well.
Be mindful that your personal brand isn’t ironclad. Just like companies evolve and change, so do you as an individual. Revisit your personal brand from time to time to see if it’s still a good fit or if it needs some fine-tuning.